Saturday 28 May 2011

No Girls Allowed

OK, so I have a little confession to make...I never wanted a daughter, nor do I ever want a daughter.  I know, that's really bad isn't it!!  Reg and I have always planned to only have 2 kids an we knew that no matter what we were given, we were only getting 2 chances.  I am so glad I got my boys!!

We cheated both pregnancies and found out the sex at our 20 week ultrasounds.  With pregnancy #1 we both wanted a boy.  We thought a boy would be nice to be the eldest child, especially if someday #2 was a girl, then she could have that typical "protective" big brother.  When the ultrasound tech showed us we were having a little boy, we were ecstatic - Holden had his name even before we arrived home.

After Holden was born and as he grew and became his own little person it became clear to Reg and I that we wanted our second child to be a boy too.  When I got pregnant again I was convinced we were having a girl - Reg went into denial and only ever said it was a boy.  Of course, that's what I wanted too but I made it my goal to try to prepare Reg that he may indeed have a daughter.  This was an impossible task as Reg was convinced that "I can only make boys" - you can't see me, but I'm rolling my eyes right now :)

The day of my ultrasound my nerves and my mind were going full swing.  Yes, I wanted a boy the first time around, but it seemed like this time I wanted a boy even worse!  (The following is terrible...)  What would I do with a girl?   How would I ever survive the teenage years?  The screeching, the dolls, the pink??!!  Finally the moment of truth had arrived.  I had just spent half an hour with the ultrasound tech in silence, listening to her blab on about who knows what, my mind racing as I watched the blurred screen convincing myself with every move of her "wand" that I had just seen the "girl parts". .  Once Reg had joined us in the room she asked us once again if we were sure we wanted to know...uh, duh...YES!!!  Please tell us and do it quick before I have a heartattack!!  Then she said the words I had been waiting to hear...your having a boy.    I was so excited that I didn't hear anything else.  Another boy :)  My little family was complete!

I told you that was terrible, but I'm just being honest!  I wouldn't trade my boys for the world - but you know what...I'd  likely be saying the same thing if my 2 boys had ended up being 2 little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment