Thursday 26 May 2011

Fabulous Fibre

So I've only been blogging for one day and I already have a request!  This is encouraging :) 

As many of you know, I have had Crohn's disease for 12 years.  I'm just going to be blunt about this - Crohn's is an unpleasant condition involving your bowels.  It's basically an infection in your intestines which involves lots of pain and diarrhea.  I have had 2 surgeries to remove the infected sections of my bowels, causing another condition...short bowel syndrome, which as you can guess leads to even more diarrhea.  From here on out I shall refer to it as a big capital D.

For over 8 years I struggled with D - as you can imagine I tried everything under the sun to fight it, from diet to prescription meds.    Nothing worked!!  I struggled to maintain a weight of 100lbs.  Not only is  D draining physically, but mentally too.

About 4 years ago I was introduced to Psyllium - funny word, yes, but this funny word has changed my life!!  Here's how it works.  Psyllium is a fiber, which is ground into a very fine powder.  When you add this powder to a liquid it acts like a little sponge and expands.  Every morning before I eat anything else I add psyllium to either applesauce or yogurt and voila - my D problem is solved.  My good friend psyllium gets in there and absorbs all the excess water in my system, while at the same time forming a type of "plug" to slow my food down.  But, my friends, the benefit of psyllium doesn't end there.  If you have another common bowel issue, just for fun let's call it C for constipation, psyllium will fix that too.  And, if you happen to be concerned that your gut is full of yucky toxins, psyllium scrubs and cleans as it makes it's way through.  It's a mutli-tasking, fabulous fiber!!

Here's the link to where I get it - http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1577

Any more requests? Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment