Almost 6 months ago our son Axton was born. I was blessed to have had a perfect pregnancy despite my history of Crohn's disease, but when it came to Axton's delivery and the time that followed nothing went according to plan. In hind sight I have actually come to realize and accept that what happened was "according to plan"...according to God's plan. This is the journey that He has chosen for us and Axton.
The following series of blogs will be Axton's story. Hopefully it will make you laugh, it may make you cry, and you may not be interested at all :) I am mostly writing this for myself to help me in the processing of the situation. So much has taken place - I feel that I need to write it all down. This can also serve as a means to update everyone with whom I may have only shared bits and peices of the story and to let you know where Axton is at today.
I'll be honest...this is going to be a long story :) I will start at the very beginning and see where it takes me.
This journey began, obviously, with my being pregnant with another wonderful baby boy. His due date was February 10th, 2011 but since I had gone 2 weeks early with his older brother Holden I didn't expect to go full term.
For a few days previous to Axton's birth weather men had been predicting the storm of the year....perhaps the century. They were calling it "Snowmageddon" and it was scheduled to hit late in the day February 1st and continue on snowing for 24 hours. Sensing "Murphey's Law" we prepared ourselves and our big 4 Wheel drive truck for the possibility of labour while driving to the hospital during the onslaught of "Snowmageddon". We were planning to have Axton at McMaster Children's Hopital in Hamilton.
So February 1st came - I had an appointment with my OB that day and we were also planning a visit to our brand new twin neices, Sarah & Mikayla who had been born the previous day at Mac. At my appointment the OB checked me and found that I was 3-4 centimeters dialated. This was very exciting and I'm sure she knew I was ready to "pop". Before leaving the appointment she made sure we had a way to get to the hospital just in case I did go into labour during the night. Of course living on a farm we have many large vehicles at our diposal. The doctor felt good about this and sent us on our way. We went straight over to the hospital to visit our little neices. We had a nice long visit with them because we were certainly in no hurry - I was really hoping I'd just go into labour right there at the hospital. After our visit we made a stop at the Limridge Mall to do some walking, to see if that would bring on anything. We walked...intensly for about an hour and half. I had some good little contractions and one really big one while walking through Sears, but eventually everything petered out. I didn't really want to go home knowing this storm was iminent but there was no telling when Axton would decide to make his debut. It could be a few hours or a few days. And so home we went.
Everthing was business as usual that evening. Much to my dismay, I never had any more contractions. I went to bed at around 9:00. The storm began while I was asleep...